Friday, August 10, 2012

DIY: Jewelry Organizer

Hello everyone, a few weekends ago I did some thrifting and came across this fabulous frame. For some great tips on how to prepare to go thrift store shopping check this out, Adrienne gives some excellent tips. I usually hang my necklaces on 3 hooks, but they were all clustered and I really couldn't see what I had. So, I knew I wanted to make something that would work more efficiently, so  I came up with this jewelry organizer. I always like tv shows that show celebrities houses. My favorite part of their house is the closet, not because of the large space(yeah right), but the organization. This is something I am always trying to achieve. Also, I think showcasing jewelry can be a form of artwork.





Materials for this project are a frame. Mine was $2.99, you could use a vintage or clean line frame. Also, silver spray paint, 1/2 yard burlap fabric, 3 drawer knob, 3 silver hooks,  1 large drawer pull, get a board cut to fit your frame, scissors, staple gun, drill, screw driver, tape measure, and sandpaper.


If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they have great prices on their hardware. I got these for 1/2 off.


Step 1: Paint your frame silver with spray paint. When it dries then use sandpaper along the frame. This lets the paint underneath show though. Make sure to always paint outside or a well ventilated area.

Step 2: Lay your cut board on top of burlap. Make sure to pull material tight before stapling.

Step 3: This is what your board should look like after the material has been stapled to the board.

Step 4:  Using the tape measure, mark the middle of the board. Then, mark the other two spots for the knobs. My knobs were 4 inches apart.

Step 5: Drill the holes that you have marked for your knobs.



Step 6: Using the tape measure, them mark for your hooks. I spread  mine a little farther apart, so the necklaces have more room to hang down. Lastly, apply the draw pull to the bottom. I got this drawer pull at Lowes.


Final product! My jewelry is more organized and is a great piece of artwork.

Are you a person who likes to be organized?

3 comments:

  1. love the idea. it's like a jewellery painting :)

    You have such a lovely blog, what do you think of following each other?

    WhiteCloset
    Twitter
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting and following my blog
      I'm following you back both on gfc and twitter :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...