Friday, July 6, 2012

DIY: Jean Coat into a Jean Vest

This DIY is very easy, you just want to make sure that your jean coat is form fitting and not loose. For this DIY you will need a jean coat, if you have one that you are not willing to part with, they have tons at the thrift stores. Other materials you will need are scissors, bleach, tub, and hot water.
Step 1: Lay your jean coat on a flat surface.

Step 2: Cut the sleeves off the coat with scissors. You will need to make sure you get as close to the seam as possible.

Step 3: Make sure the sides are even. I knew I wanted a lighter color vest, so that meant get some bleach.

Step 4: I used a large tub and filled it 1/4 full with hot water. Make sure to have 1/4 bleach and 3/4 water. Lay the jean vest flat into the water. (Do not pore bleach on top of vest or it will be spotted) I kept monitoring the vest to get my desired color. It took about an 1/2 hour. Then, I rinsed it off outside with the hose and let dry.

Step 5: Wash by itself in the washing machine. This will allow the sleeves to fray. There are so many things you could do to your vest. You could dye it a color, add studs, rhinestones. The possibilities are endless and I can't wait to find another jean vest at the thrift store so I can apply studs!

Hope you have a great weekend. Do you have any projects or great plans for the weekend?

5 comments:

  1. Cute! Maybe I should put buying and diying a denim jacket on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post ist so nice. I love the jacket so much:)
    xx chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a jean jacket at the thrift store today and am making a vest just like yours....hope it goes as well as yours did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...